In the industrial world, IT equipment such as keyboards or panel PCs must be designed and built to withstand harsh industrial environments and for example resist dust, water, and extreme temperatures. Different devices are available. Since it is not always easy to choose the right industrial IT equipment in front of a multitude of manufacturers, we have produced several buying guides with tips and recommendations to help you make the right purchasing decision.
Hicham Dhouibi, Monica Hutchings, and Francesco D’Amore contributed to these buying guides.
DirectIndustry offers a free online buying guide service to advise you on what you need to know before you buy a product or request a quote. The goal is to give business leaders, industrial buyers, and decision-makers detailed descriptions, key criteria, standards, and prices of industrial products to facilitate your comparison of quotes and your choice of suppliers in order to make the right purchasing decision. Our buying guides are written by our professional journalists and in-house industry analysts in an independent and impartial way. None of the content is sponsored or promotional.
IT equipment is now predominant in modern manufacturing processes, particularly with HMI. It has indeed many benefits as it allows monitoring machines, robots, and even entire production lines, therefore offering greater efficiency, automation, and better decision-making.
But these devices, including keyboards, PCs, and monitors must withstand the harsh conditions that are frequent on the factory floor (dust, heat, vibration, and extreme temperatures) as well as the strict hygiene demands required by some industries like healthcare. One of the key challenges in designing industrial IT equipment is to incorporate specialized materials and ruggedized enclosures.
The following buying guides provide tips and recommendations to help you choose the right industrial keyboard, panel pc, and industrial monitor.
How to Choose the Right Panel PC?
Panel PCs are industrial computers with touch-screen controls and are similar to all-in-one PCs. They are made with durable components to better resist challenging conditions. They also often take up minimal space and with a variety of configuration and mounting options, they are suitable for a wide range of industrial applications.
- HOW TO CHOOSE A PANEL PC?
- WHICH TOUCHSCREENS SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR PANEL PCS?
- WHAT TYPES OF MOUNTING AND INTEGRATION ARE THERE?
- WHAT ARE INDUSTRIAL PANEL PCS USED FOR?
- ACTIVE COOLING (WITH FAN) OR FANLESS?
- WHAT ARE THE PROTECTION STANDARDS?
How to Choose the Right Industrial PC?
Industrial PCs are mainly used for process control and/or data acquisition. Industrial PCs offer different features than consumer PCs in terms of reliability, compatibility, expansion options, ruggedness, and lifespan.
- HOW TO CHOOSE AN INDUSTRIAL PC?
- WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A CONSUMER PC AND AN INDUSTRIAL PC?
- WHAT TYPE OF INDUSTRIAL PC SHOULD YOU CHOOSE?
- WHAT TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS SHOULD YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT?
- WHAT TYPE OF STORAGE SHOULD YOU CHOOSE? HDD OR SSD?
- WHAT ARE THE MAIN STANDARDS FOR RUGGEDIZED INDUSTRIAL COMPUTERS?
- WHAT OTHER CHARACTERISTICS ARE IMPORTANT TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING AN INDUSTRIAL PC?
Industrial monitors are designed to withstand tough industrial environments and are made to be more durable than regular monitors. They come in various sizes and resolutions and can be mounted in different ways (panel mount, rack mount, etc.). Some offer a touch screen capability either by pressure touch or by capacitive touch (tactile).
- HOW TO CHOOSE AN INDUSTRIAL MONITOR?
- WHICH TECHNOLOGY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR INDUSTRIAL SCREEN?
- HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR TOUCHSCREEN?
- WHAT PROTECTION NORMS SHOULD YOUR INDUSTRIAL MONITOR HAVE?
- WHICH CONNECTION SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR INDUSTRIAL MONITOR?
- WHAT TYPE OF MOUNT SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR INDUSTRIAL MONITOR?
Industrial keyboards are not just limited to office applications. They are also widely used in a variety of settings including HMI terminals, IoT devices, POS systems, kiosks, medical carts, and mobile devices. They are specifically designed for harsh conditions. They are rugged, durable, and can withstand exposure to water, dust, dirt, oil, and chemicals. They are also resistant to shock and even explosions.
- HOW TO CHOOSE AN INDUSTRIAL KEYBOARD?
- WHAT TYPES OF MOUNTING EXIST FOR INDUSTRIAL KEYBOARDS?
- WHAT POINTING DEVICE SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR INDUSTRIAL KEYBOARD?
- WHAT ARE THE PROTECTION STANDARDS FOR INDUSTRIAL KEYBOARDS?
- WHICH CONNECTOR SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR INDUSTRIAL KEYBOARD?
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE TYPE OF KEYS AND TECHNOLOGY FOR YOUR INDUSTRIAL KEYBOARD?
- WHAT OTHER OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR AN INDUSTRIAL KEYBOARD?